Crispy Topped Mexican Cauliflower & Rice Gratin
For 4 Person(s)
- 500 g cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup Cardini's Caesar Dressing
- 1 tbsp Cholula Original Hot Sauce
- 1 cup cooked basmati rice, cooled
- 1 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
Crispy Topped Mexican Cauliflower & Rice Gratin Directions
- Preheat an oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Grease a medium gratin dish with a little olive oil.
- Place the cauliflower into a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5-8 minutes until tender. Remove from the heat and drain the cauliflower florets.
- In a small jug add the milk, Cardini’s Caesar Dressing and Cholula Original Hot Sauce. Stir the ingredients together to combine.
- In another saucepan add the butter and spring onions. Gently melt the butter and cook the spring onions for 3-4 minutes. Add in the salt and pepper, cumin and nutmeg and cook for a few seconds.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the plain flour and stir into the butter and spring onion mixture. Place back on the heat and cook the flour for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat again and slowly add in the milk, Cardini’s Caesar Dressing and Cholula Original Hot Sauce mixture, quickly whisking to stop any lumps forming.
- Add the saucepan back to the heat and bring the milk mixture to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, stirring constantly until the mixture starts to thicken. Set aside off the stove to assemble the gratin.
- Arrange half of the cauliflower in the base of the gratin dish. Sprinkle half of the rice over the top of the cauliflower along with half of the grated cheese. Slowly pour half of the white sauce over the top of the cauliflower and rice. Repeat with another layer of cauliflower and rice and finish off with the rest of the white sauce.
- Top the gratin with the rest of the grated cheese and sprinkle over the panko breadcrumbs.
- Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and turned golden brown.
- Remove and cool slightly before topping with a drizzle of Cholula Original Hot Sauce.