I love this muesli, it is my breakfast staple. Take the opportunity to be your own chef with this one. If you don't like hazelnuts or macadamias, replace them with nuts you do like. Just keep the ratio of wet to dry ingredients the same. Sometimes i like to add some cacao nibs in or sprinkle some linseed over the top.
For 1 Batch(es)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1 Tbs maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup mixed sunflower and pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup macadamias, chopped
- 1/4 cup sultanas
- 1/4 cup crasins
Homemade Muesli Directions
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees. Line a baking sheet with baking paper, ensuring some hangs over the edge.
- In a large bowl mix the oats, brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla. Spread the mix out on the baking sheet and put in the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until it starts to brown. Make sure you mix it up after 10 minutes so the top layer doesn't burn.
- While the oats are cooking, chop the hazelnuts and macadamia nuts and add them to the bowl with the seeds, almonds and coconut.
- When the oats are starting to brown, take the tray out of the oven. Check the baking paper isn't too hot then pick it up by the four corners and slide the contents off into the bowl with the nuts. Put the baking paper back on the tray to use again for the next step.
- Mix the oats and nuts together then put them back on the tray and back into the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Then, sprinkle the sultanas and crasins over the top and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Oven temperatures vary and it's quite easy to burn the muesli so keep and eye on it the first time you cook it. You may need to adjust the cooking time to suit your oven.