|These Gingerbread Men were made using quality tools from the Baker's Secret and Pyrex range of products. To find out more about these products please visit the World Kitchen website here.|
For 2 Dozen(s)
- 230 grams butter, softened
- 1/2 cup` golden syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbs ginger, grated
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bi-carb soda
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup plain flour, extra for kneading
- 150 grams white chocolate melts
- 72 chocolate buttons (approx)
- 1/2 cup` sprinkles (approx)
Gingerbread Men Directions
- 1. Pre heat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Melt butter and golden syrup in a saucepan on the stove, stirring constantly. Add the brown sugar until it has dissolved then remove from the heat
3. Allow to cool slightly, then stir in the ginger and mixed spice.
4. Add Bi-Carb soda, flour and salt and stir to combine.
5. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for approximately 3-5 minutes until the dough comes together.
6. Roll out the dough on a sheet of baking paper until it is 5mm thick. The baking paper makes it really easy to transfer the cut dough to cookie sheet.
7. Using a Gingerbread Man cookie cutter cut shapes out of the dough removing excess as you go. Repeat steps 6 and 7 until you have used all the dough.
8. Transfer the baking paper onto your Bakers Secret cookie sheet.
9. Put into the oven for 12-15 minutes to cook. Gingerbread men should be cooked when they start to brown on the outside.
10. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
- How to Decorate
Melt chocolate in 30 second bursts in the microwave. Attach tip number 4 to a Bakers Secret piping bag and fill with the melted chocolate, shaking the bag down well to get rid of any air bubbles. Twist to seal the top of the bag. Holding the bag directly over the gingerbread man and pipe melted chocolate onto the hands, feet and top of the head of the gingerbread man. Dip the hands, feet and head into the 100's and 1000's to coat. Pipe three dots down the torso and attache three chocolate buttons to the gingerbread man then set aside to dry.
- Another decoration idea to try is to pipe around the outside. You can then decide if you want to dip in sprinkles or not.
This is a great recipe to get the kids involved in. They will love decorating their own gingerbread men. You can also use this recipe to make other gingerbread creations (think Christmas trees and Christmas baubles or even to attempt a gingerbread house)
The number of gingerbread men you will get out of this recipe will depend on the size of your cookie cutter. Make sure you have some extra decorating bits handy in case you get a few more out of your batch.